Sunday, January 20, 2013

Radish "Potato" cakes


I'm back on the wagon again.   I've lost 13 pounds since the first of the year.  I'm happier and less grumpy and trying new things to keep my low carb life interesting, while feeding a family of 5 in the process.  I've recently heard rumors of radishes being used to replace potatoes in recipes.  Shut the front door!  How have I low carbed off and on for about 10 years now and NOT known this?!?!?  So, of course I had to try it for myself.  My boys were out camping with the boy scouts this weekend, so it was just the girls and I.  The girls were busy eating leftover waffles from Erin's birthday breakfast. So it was the perfect opportunity for me to play with a new recipe. The results were super-tasty, but not visually stunning.  In my world, tasty is what counts most. ;-)
peel radishes, the curly peel is cute, isn't it?
Boil the peeled radishes for about 5 min., don't boil too long or you will have mush.  Don't ask me how I know.
Grate the boiled radishes, season with salt and pepper
add shreds to hot coconut oil in skillet
Then flip.  As you can see this is where it all fell apart.  <SIGH>



BUT, in stirring them around almost all of them got crispy and crunchy.  Like those little Pik-Nik shoestring pototo sticks I had as a kid.  This isn't a total loss after all.  YAY!   They went perfectly with my eggs and hot sauce.  Crunchy, potato-y, not at all with the bite and flavor associated with radishes. 
crispy radish potato sticks and eggs for the win!





No comments:

Post a Comment