Monday, January 21, 2013

Italian Eggplant Lasagna

Last week I made myself a few slices of fried eggplant (with coconut flour) and now I need to use the last of the eggplant so I don't have to throw it away.  I hate when I buy veggies and end up having to compost it because I forgot about it in the crisper.  That happens WAY more often than I'd like to admit.  So....Italian night it is.  WOOT!


Brown 1 lb. ground beef, season with salt and pepper,
then add 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped link of
Italian sausage

add chopped bell peppers and seasonings I used Italian
seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes, fennel, and garlic powder

I added a large can of tomato sauce and one small can
of whole tomatoes. Let it simmer on med. about 30 min. then added
a few chopped banana peppers and minced garlic and turned off the heat

After the heat has been turned off I added 3/4 cup
heavy cream (just because I can)  YAY for LCHF!!!

While your sauce is cooking you want to slice your eggplant
into thin slices and lay them out on a paper towel.  Salt them well.
This helps draw out some moisture and will keep your dish from
becoming soggy.

Grease your dish and layer eggplant on bottom
Add the meat and veggies from the sauce, layer another
layer of eggplant  and  the rest of the sauce BEFORE the cheese

BUT as you can see I got overly excited about the cheese and
added it first. Mmmm....cheese  I also sprinkled on more
Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.  I stuck it in a
375 degree oven for 30 minutes.


Italian Eggplant Casserole


No comments:

Post a Comment